What’s emergency contraception?
Crisis contraception can prevent maternity after non-safe sex or should your contraceptive method has failed – for instance, a condom has split or you’ve missed a capsule.
There’s two kinds:
- The emergency contraceptive product (often called the after pill morning)
- The IUD (intrauterine unit, or coil)
There are two main types of crisis contraceptive tablet. Levonelle has got to be studied within 72 hours (three times) of intercourse, and ellaOne has to be studied within 120 hours (five times) of intercourse. Both pills work by preventing or delaying ovulation (launch of an egg). Emergency contraception is most beneficial taken at the earliest opportunity to work.
The IUD could be inserted into the womb as much as five times after unprotected sex, or as much as five days following the earliest time you can have ovulated. It might stop an egg from being fertilised or implanting in your womb.
Crisis contraception will not sexually protect against sent infections (STIs).
Crisis contraception self-help gu Find away more about ways to get crisis contraception and where you might get it.
At a look: details about crisis contraception
- Both forms of crisis contraception work well at preventing maternity if they’re utilized right after unsafe sex. Not as much as 1% of females who utilize the IUD have a baby, whereas pregnancies following the crisis contraceptive capsule are never as unusual. It’s believed that ellaOne works more effectively than Levonelle.
- The earlier you are taking Levonelle or ellaOne, the greater amount of effective it shall be.
- Levonelle or ellaOne will make you feel ill, dizzy or tired, or provide you with a frustration, tender breasts or stomach discomfort.
- Levonelle or ellaOne could make your duration previously or later than usual.
- If you’re sick (vomit) within couple of hours of using Levonelle, or three hours of using ellaOne, look for medical advice because you will have to take another dosage or have an IUD fitted.
- By using the IUD as crisis contraception, it could be kept in as the regular contraceptive technique.
- It can make your periods longer, heavier or more painful if you use the IUD as a regular method of contraception.
- You may feel some vexation as soon as the IUD is place in – painkillers can help alleviate this.
- There are not any severe s pill< […]